“Mastery through time and effort”
-the meaning of kung fu
The origin of all martial arts such as karate, tae kwon do, jiu jitsu, and all others is Shao-lin Kung Fu. Now being taught in the school of Shao-lin Kung Fu & Tai Chi in Barcelona.
We are dedicated to teaching and preserving the 1500 year old art of Shao-Lin Kung Fu. We are under the direct lineage of the Shao-lin Fujian Temple, and practice all styles of kung fu …more
It’s difficult and demanding, but incredibly fun and interesting! – sifu demian
– Shaolin Grand Master Sin Kwang Thé
On local television in Barcelona betevé:
With so many martial arts, what is the difference?
Here is a look at some of the most popular:
- MMA- Mixed Martial arts. Derived from Ultimate Fighting Championships in the USA and Shooto in Japan.
- A name coined in the 1990’s.
- Karate- meaning literally “China Hand” derived from Shaolin Fukien White Crane Kung Fu in Okinawa and brought to Japan in the early 1900’s.
- Taekwondo- Created by combining Japanese Karate with some Chinese and Korean arts with heavy emphasis on tournaments and competition. Developed in the 1940’s and 1950’s.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu- Using primarily grappling and ground techniques, and effective art against a single opponent or in sport competitions. First started in Brazil in the early 1900’s.
- Judo- Focusing on throws to the ground and then joint locks and submission holds. It was started in the 1880’s, and is also very popular in competitions.
- Aikido- A Modern Japanese art using techniques for deflection and throws. The origins of the styles taken from samurai techniques of fighting when the sword has been lost until it is recovered. Developed after the late 1920’s.
- Muay Thai- Older than most popular modern arts, it was developed in Thailand perhaps as early as the 16th century and features elbow, knee and shin attacks.
- Wing Chun- A branch of the original and much larger parent art of the Wooden Man created in the Southern Shaolin Temple in Fukien, China, the name of this art was taken a young woman who trained for some years with a female Shaolin monk (nun) in the late 1880’s.
- Shaolin Kung Fu- The undisputed origins of all martial arts, it was originally created by Buddhist monks in China in the early 6th century A.D. Practiced my Buddhist and Taoist monks in seven famous temples in China for 1,500 years, it is also the origin of Tai Chi Chuan, the most practiced and popular martial art in the world.